Canada has always welcomed immigrants in the country. A large number of immigrants visit Canada each year due to the opportunities in terms of employment, education, social security, etc. offered by the country. To become a part of such incredible system, immigrants apply for Canadian citizenship. ECC Visa has a long history in providing immigrants with the Canadian citizenship.
How to Determine Your Eligibility for Canadian Citizenship
If you are intending to obtain Canadian citizenship, you must meet all the conditions mentioned below:
- You must be 18 years old while applying for citizenship. For children below 18 years, their parents, legal guardian or adoptive parents can make the application, provided they are a Canadian citizen or in the process of becoming the Canadian citizen.
- You must have Permanent Resident (PR) status in Canada and this status must not be questionable for fraud or certain unfulfilled conditions relating to your PR. You must be physically present in Canada for at least 1460 days i.e. 4 years out of past 6 years before the date of your application. Children below 18 years do not require satisfaction of 4 years of stay condition.
- Apart from the above mentioned point, you must have lived in Canada for at least 183 days during each of four calendar years that fall within the 6 years before the date of your application.
- You must have fulfilled all the income tax obligations for the 4 taxation years which fully or partially fall within the 6 years before the date of your application.
- You must be able to communicate well either in English or French. If you fall in the age group of 14 to 64 years, it is obligatory to attach the documentary proof of your language proficiency along with the citizenship application.
- You must also declare your intention to live in Canada or work in a country other than Canada as a Crown servant or stay in a country outside Canada with certain family members who are employed as a Crown servant. A Crown servant is a person employed in Canadian armed force or he is in public service of a particular province or he is employed as a federal public administration, etc.
- You must have a basic knowledge of Canada’s history, values, politics, geography, etc.
- You must be aware of citizenship privileges, rights and responsibilities.
- You must not have any criminal history in or outside Canada to be eligible for the citizenship
Application process for Obtaining Canadian Citizenship
So if you fulfill all the eligibility conditions, you can apply for Canadian citizenship. We at ECC Visa, not only help you to assess your eligibility for citizenship but also guide to through the entire application process. Let us see the application process.
- Applicant must submit an application for citizenship to the appropriate IRCC office (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada). Along with the application, he must also pay fees for the right to citizenship and government processing fees.
- Once the application is reviewed and verified, a notice is sent to the applicant to take the citizenship test. This test is compulsory for all applicants between the age group of 14 to 64 years. To undertake this test, the applicant needs to have good knowledge about Canada’s history, values, politics, geography, etc. The applicant is also expected to understand the responsibilities, rights and privileges of citizenship.
- When the applicant appears for the test, he has to bring along original immigration documents, photo identification, passport and all other necessary documents relating to his Permanent Residence in Canada.
- The applicant may also be required to undergo an interview before citizenship judge.
- Once the application process is successful, the applicant should attend a citizenship ceremony where he officially becomes a Canadian citizen and receives a certificate of citizenship.
We hold expertise in the process of citizenship application. So get in touch with us for the smooth application process and for citizenship consultancy.
ECC Visa is a Canadian immigration consulting firm that offers advice, assistance and services pertaining to smooth and hassle-free immigration to Canada. Starting as a student immigration consultant way back in 2006, we have evolved to become a leading consultancy firm focusing on family sponsorships, permanent residence, visitor visa, Canadian citizenship and several other areas.
Why Choose Us
- Over A Decade Of Experience
- Deep Knowledge of Canadian Education & Job Market
- Hundreds of Satisfied Client Base
- Multiple Languages – English, Hindi, Punjabi & Urdu
- Committed & Dedicated Immigration Professionals
What Client’s Say
Jagpal Sir was great help in explaining the process and helping me prepare for my application and getting admission in my dream college. Highly recommended!!